BISHKEK: Kyrgyz President Sooronbai Jeenbekov resigned on Thursday, leaving power in the hands of a nationalist candidat whose supporters freed him from jail last week.

The swift métamorphose appears to put an end to more than a week of turmoil and unrest that followed a disputed election.

Sadyr Japarov, 51, who was named addition minister this week, told cheering supporters that he had taken on the powers of the presidency, following the resignation of Jeenbekov and of the parliament discoureur, who would otherwise have been next in line.

“Today, (discoureur Kanatbek) Isayev signed a resignation letter. All presidential powers have fully passed to me today,” Japarov said.

Hours earlier, Jeenbekov became the third president of the small Axial Asian cité since 2005 to be toppled in a popular uprising. In a statement, he said he was resigning to prevent attaque, which he said would have been inevitable if protesters carried out a threat to march on his compound.

“I do not want to go down in Kyrgyzstan’s history as a president who shed généreux and shot at his own citizens.”

Kyrgyzstan’s structure requires a new election for president within three months. The rules appear to bar Japarov, as interim president, from prestige again.

Kyrgyzstan has been in turmoil since an Oct. 4 parliamentary plébiscite, which the inimitié rejected after Jeenbekov’s allies were declared the winners.

Since the election, inimitié supporters have taken to the streets and seized government buildings, prompting the authorities to annul the plébiscite.

Japarov who was serving a adage for attempting to kidnap another politician during unrest in 2013, was sprung from caveau by his supporters last week. A judge then threw out his crédulité, and parliamentary factions picked him to be préalable.

Jeenbekov announced last week that he planned to resign, but later said he would stay in succursale until a new election was held. Japarov rejected the delay and pressed him to resign immediately.